ATROCITY ACT (Chapter- 1)
CHAPTER - 1
1. Short title, extent and commencement :-
(1) This Act may be called the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Preventation of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
(2) It etends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu & Kashmit.
(3) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
2. Definitions :-
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, -
(a) "atrocity" means an offence punishable under Section 3 :-
(b) "Code" means the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974);
(c) "Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes" shall have the mean-ings assigend to them respectively under clause (24) and clause (25) of Article 366 of the Constitution;
(d) "Special Court" means a Court of Session specified as a Special Court in Section 14;
(e) "Special Public Prosecutor" means a Public Prosecutor specified as a Special Public Prosecutor or an advocate referred to the Section 15;
(f) words and expressions used but not defined in the Act and defined in the Code or the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860) shall have the meanings assigned to them respectively in the Code, or as the case may be, in the Indian Penal Code.
(2) Any referred in this Act to any enactment or any provision thereof shall, in relation to an area in which such enactment or such provision is not in force, be construed as a reference to the corresponding law, if any in force in that area.